The error code 0x00000709 is pretty common problem among the windows users. When you try to set default printer, You may get this error. To fix error 0x00000709, You will learn about some basic steps in this article. Normally, This error shows following message-
Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Double click the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network.
Sometimes, It also can show “access denied” type messages. This error occurs when there is not sufficient permission in windows registry to allow a process related to printer. So, Tweaking registry can resolve this issue.
How to Fix Error 0x00000709: Operation could not be completed:
This problem can be solved by following two ways. One will require registry editing. Another one doesn’t require it. Anyway, Here are they.
1. Set Default Printer as Administrator
This should be the first method to fix unable to change default printer error 0x00000709. Sometimes, You may not be able to set default printer in normal way. That’s why, You will need administrative privileges to do it. If you are an admin of your PC, Follow these things.
- At first, Go to Control PanelHardware and SoundDevices and Printers.
- From there, Right click on the printer you want to set as default and choose See what’s printing.
- Then, From the navigation menu, Click on Printer and choose Open as Administrator.
- Then, Again click on Printer and choose Set as default.
It should set the default printer without “operation could not be completed” issue.
2. Fix Error 0x00000709 by Tweaking Registry:
I recommend you to backup registry before following this method. Because, You will have to modify registry to fix error 0x00000709. Here are the instructions:
- First of all, Press Win + R to open RUN.
- Type, Regedit and hit enter. It will open windows registry editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows.
- Right click on Windows and choose Permissions.
- Now, Select Administrator and mark full control. Also select your user name and mark full control and save this settings.
- It should fix error 0x00000709 while changing default printer.
You can try to change default printer to verify if it works. If it doesn’t work, You can do two things. First one is, Go to the same location in windows registry location. When you click on windows, You should see several strings. Just, Double click on Device and change its value to the printer name you want to set as default. For example, Your default printer name is “HP LaserJet 4250 PCL6,winspool,Ne03:“. So, Just put this name as value.
Second one is, Delete Device, LegacyDefaultPrinterMode and UserSelectedDefault and try again.
Hopefully, These will help to fix error 0x00000709. If it still shows the problem, You can follow next method.
3. Repair Corrupted System Files:
Sometimes, You may need to follow this method. Though, This is actually rare. If first two methods fail, You can repair corrupted system files by running sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth commands. I hope, It will fix unable to change default printer error 0x00000709.
If you still hang on this default printer change pperation could not be completed issue, You can consider resetting windows. But, I recommend you to enable secret admin and see, If you can change default printer by logging into hidden administrator account or not. If you don’t face any problem there, You can create a new user account to see, If it helps. Then, Delete the old one and start using new user account.
Hope this helps!
Thank you have visited this post Fix Error 0x00000709: Operation could not be completed. I wish this post can be useful for you… 🙂