Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It’s like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers! We call this show Saturday Game School, because learning about new games is always fun.
Tonight on Beam, we played Star Trek Online: Reckoning, the latest free expansion to the official Star Trek MMO from Perfect World Entertainment. Read on for quick impressions and contest winners.
Star Trek Online: Reckoning
Star Trek Online takes place 30 years after the end of Star Trek: Nemesis. It is set within the Prime Reality as opposed to the Kelvin Reality featured in the post-2009 Star Trek films.
Following the destruction of Romulus (as seen in the 2009 Star Trek film), the galactic balance of power has drastically shifted. A new Chancellor has assassinated his way to the top of the Klingon Empire and reignited the Federation-Klingon War.
The latest free Star Trek Online expansion ‘Season 12: Reckoning’ introduces a brand new enemy, the militant Tzenkethi. Players must investigate an abandoned space station from Star Trek: The Original Series and discover what happened to the nearby planet it orbits.
Reckoning adds the following content:
- New Featured Episode: In the brand new episode, ‘Of Signs and Portents’ captains team up with the Lukari and a Klingon contingent to fight off Tzenkethi forces.
- New Reputation: ‘The Lukari Restoration Initiative’ allows players to earn marks toward weapons and gear infused with protomatter technology to defend themselves from the Tzenkethi.
- New Crafting School: Season 12 introduces a new Research School to the R&D System, allowing captains to create new kits and modules.
- Two New Space Queues: ‘Gravity Kills’ and ‘The Tzenkethi Front’
- Full Space Battlezone: Captains will head into final frontier to lead an all-out war against the Tzenkethi, in an effort to stop the production and deployment of protomatter weapons.
Watch us play Star Trek Online, and then join the fight. Star Trek Online is free to play and features a wealth of story content that Star Trek fans will love.
We streamed Star Trek Online: Reckoning for ~90 minutes. During that time, we gave out a total of twelve game codes and three Blu-ray sets:
- 6 Star Trek Online Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruisers (Tier 6) for Xbox One (Pictured above)
- 6 Star Trek Online Faction Packs for PlayStation 4 (North American accounts only)
- 3 Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray) – Open to residents of the US, Canadia, and UK only
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We’re now streaming on Beam, Microsoft’s interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you’ll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it’s required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That’s it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer a Windows Phone app yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft’s mobile platform. But Beam does offer apps on Xbox One, Android, and iOS.
Want to know what’s next for Windows Central’s weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 1am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we’ll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- May 5: Lost Grimoires from Artifex Mundi. Win a copy of this recently-released hidden object puzzle adventure game!
We hope you’ll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you’ll always know when it’s time for the stream to start.
May these winners live long and prosper!
Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruisers for Xbox One
Star Trek Online Faction Packs for PlayStation 4
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
Tonight’s prizes provided by Perfect World Entertainment and Mobile Nations. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
Thank you for your visit on this page Win a Star Trek: TNG Blu-ray set as we livestream Star Trek Online tonight on Beam [Ended]