Pop-up ads on mobile are the worst. Here’s how to block them on Android once and for all
Two years ago, the creator of pop-up adverts apologised to the world for the monster he had inadvertently created. Fat lot of good it did, with pop-up ads still a fairly consistent annoyance. Nowadays most desktop browsers block them as a matter of course, but what about blocking on Android?
Easy, if you know how. Here’s how to block pop-up adverts on Android.
It’s subtly different, depending on which Android browser you use, so here’s a step-by-step guide to each one.
How to block pop-up adverts on the Android Browser
- Open the Android web browser
- Open up the app’s settings. This is usually by the “three dots” (⋮) menu button, but will vary by manufacturer.
- Press “Advanced”.
- Tick the box labeled “Block pop-ups”
How to block pop-up adverts on Chrome for Android
- Open Chrome on Android.
- Open up Chrome’s settings by tapping the “three dots” (⋮) icon in the top right, and then tapping “settings”.
- On the screen that opens up, scroll down to “Site settings” and press it.
- Scroll down to “Pop-ups” and press it to enable or disable pop-ups.
Alternatively, Opera for Android comes with pop-up blocking built in and switched on as default, and also has a rather clever way of compressing pages to ensure your data allowance doesn’t get chewed through when out and about. You can download it free of charge here.
Image: Japanexpertna.se, used under Creative Commons
Thank you have visited this post How to block pop-up adverts on Android. We wish could be additional information about technology for you