Tips & Tricks/ July 5, 2016/
/ Last Updated: July 5, 2016
USB devices have become a useful way for us to store all our data and files. From pictures to presentations, we are able to save whatever we want in these little gadgets! It’s become a popular device that everyone brings. Whether you are a student or a businessman, almost everyone will soon realize why USBs will come in handy at one point or another. But the real question is: What happens when you plug off your USB without safely removing it? People say that it’s unsafe, while others say it may cause your PC or USB to be damaged. But is it really needed?
You would often see some people safely remove hardware before they plug it out, or some people who are often in a hurry to bother with it. If you do the latter, you would often see a warning from Windows or Mac. So should you plug it off without needing to safely remove it, or should just ignore the signs and get on with your life?
Remove Your USB Safely!
The simple answer – YES, you should remove your USB safely from the hardware. It’s best to take the few seconds of your time to do so, because of the following reasons:
- You may end up losing memory if you unplug it without safely removing it. Your USB is cashing memory into your computer, and if you unplug it without warning, or while it is in the process of cashing, then you will end up with missing files, or your data will be corrupted. But as long as you are not writing or reading anything, then you’re fine. You can even disable Windows from caching your USB using settings!
- USB flash drives need a bit of power for less than a second before being unplugged, which is why you should prepare it through safely removing your USB device. If not, then your files may end up destroyed. Or worse, your whole USB may be unable to function properly anymore!
How to Remove Your USB Safely
Removing your USB safely is simple and only takes a few seconds. All you need to do is:
- Check the taskbar to the bottom right, and right-click the USB device logo.
- Click “Safely Remove Hardware” from the selection.
- Choose the USB device you would like to disconnect, and click disconnect.
- Now you are able to unplug your USB safely without it or your files being destroyed.
While you may still have the habit of unplugging your USB without warning, it’s best to take the few seconds to safely remove it. This way, your USB will be working great for a long period of time, and you won’t have to worry about any of your files being destroyed. Show this article to friends and family to keep them informed. It’s better to be safe than sorry, especially if you are carrying very important files that are not backed up!
Featured image source: stou.ac.th
Thank you have visited this post Do We Need To Safely Remove Our USB Devices?. I wish this post can be useful for you… 🙂