While BlackBerry 10 customers have had the ability to BBM video chat between each other since the launch of BlackBerry 10, Android and iOS users have been left out of the loop, until now. A new version of BBM for Android has now been released through Google Play, which brings BBM video chat between Android and iOS devices in the US and Canada with a full rollout coming soon, according to BlackBerry.
BBM users have been clamoring for video calling (as you reminded me in your comments on my recent BBM: Getting Better All the Time post). We’re thrilled to announce that video is almost ready for primetime; today we’ve launched it as a beta feature for Android, as part of the latest version of BBM. Update your BBM today to get it. Video calling for iPhone and iPad users is also coming soon.Please note we’re initially limiting availability because this is the first time we’re launching BBM Video calling, and we want to monitor performance, gather feedback, and iron out any kinks that may arise before we roll it out globally.
The beta video feature will only be available in U.S. and Canada, coming first to Android users, followed closely by iOS. At that time, U.S. and Canadian BBM users will be able to enjoy cross-platform video calling with each other. We plan to launch the feature globally in our July release.
There’s no sign-up or approval required to use the feature. When you tap the icon to initiate a call with one of your BBM contacts, BBM will ask whether you want to make a voice call or try a video call with the beta feature (provided your contact is also eligible to participate).
The update is live right now, so go ahead and get it downloaded. Keep in mind, you’ll likely have to wait until others on your BBM list get the update as well in order for it to work but it’s certainly there. There’s sure to be an iOS update coming as well, but iOS updates usually come a few days after others.
Download BBM for Android from the Google Play Store
System Requirements for BBM Video Chat
The following outlines the system requirements and expected functionality of BBM Video Chat;
- BlackBerry 10 OS
- BlackBerry 10 smartphones are able to start BBM Video Chats to other BlackBerry 10 smartphones
- BBM Video Chat between BlackBerry 10 and Android / iOS devices is not supported and will provide the option for BBM Voice Chat
- iOS version 8 and later
- iOS devices are able start BBM Video Chats between other iOS and Android OS devices
- When a BBM Video Chat is started on an iOS device to BlackBerry 10 smartphones, the call will change to a BBM Voice Chat
- Android OS 4.4 (KitKat) and later
- Android OS devices are able to start BBM Video Chats between other Android OS and iOS devices
- When a BBM Video Chat is started on an Android device to BlackBerry 10 smartphones, the call will change to a BBM Voice Chat
- Asus phones (and any mobile device using an Intel chipset) are currently not support and will establish a BBM Voice Call
- Motorola Moto X (XT1092, XT1095, XT1096) and Lenovo Vibe X (S960) may see one way video / poor video during a BBM Video Chat
Thank you for your visit to this page BBM for Android updated to include BBM video chat in beta. I hope this article about Blackberry can be usefull to you.